Setting up a good oral hygiene routine is going to be imperative if you would like to make sure that your teeth are healthy and strong for many years to come. Having this routine in place is good for everyone in your family as well. Work, family time, activities, and school will often be part of our busy lives. Some days you may feel like you are struggling to find time to spare, but your smile, as well as the overall health you enjoy, can depend on having the right dental care habits early on.
But what steps should you take to help take care of your oral hygiene and make sure that your teeth will last you a lifetime? Some of the best steps include:
You need to get into a routine that makes it easier for you to brush and floss each day, no matter how busy you get. First thing in the morning and last thing at night is what seems to work the best for most but choose a schedule that works well for you. There are no hard rules here as long as you are consistent and make sure that your teeth are brushed two times a day or more.
The morning is going to be a good time for many because mouth bacteria are able to accumulate overnight. When you brush right away in the morning, it is going to help remove some of these germs. Brushing before bedtime will remove some of the food particles and plaque that showed up during the day, ensuring that those germs will not sit on your teeth all night long.
One look down the oral hygiene aisle shows you how many great options there are for toothpaste. You can talk to your dentist to see which one is perfect for your oral needs. But always make sure that you go with a brand that has fluoride in it. Fluoride is going to help you fight against tooth decay while adding a protective barrier for your teeth at the same time.
You should brush your teeth two times a day and it is best to spend at least two full minutes on the brushing as well. Try to spend an equal amount of time in each quadrant of your mouth. If you have trouble keeping track of how long it will take, you can set a timer, watch a clock, or sing a song in your head to help brush your teeth.
Some of the other steps that you can take in order to brush your teeth properly include:
- Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle pointed to the gumline.
- Using a circular motion to brush all of the surfaces of the teeth. This needs to be the sides and the chewing surface on top.
- If you are using an electric toothbrush, place the brush at a 45-degree angle, turn on the toothbrush, and guide the brush from one too to another.
- Don’t forget to brush the tongue so the bacteria and plaque can build up.
There are a lot of different varieties of dental floss, including some ready-to-use dental flossers that are going to make it easier for everyone to get their teeth prepared and look good as well. Some of the steps that you can use to help floss your teeth include:
- Take about 18 inches of floss and then wind a lot of it around one finger of your hand, repeating with the other side as well.
- Hold the floss between the forefingers and thumbs and guide it between your teeth with a gentle rubbing motion. As it gets close to the gums, curve into a C-shape against one tooth and then slide it back up to move the plaque out.
- Repeat this for all of the teeth.
It is best if you are able to floss your teeth at least once a day, though it is fine to do it more often if something gets stuck between your teeth. Be cautious and do not push down too much to make the gums bleed.
Another thing that you can add to your oral hygiene routine is a mouthwash. This is a great tool that you will be able to use to help prevent issues with tooth decay, reduce plaque in the mouth, prevent or reduce gingivitis, and make your breath feel fresher than ever. Take a look at some of the different options on the market to see which one is going to provide you with the most protection that you need.
While you can do quite a bit to keep your teeth and mouth protected at home, it is still best to work with your dentist as well. Even the best oral hygiene routines should include visiting the dentist on a regular basis. They will be able to take some of the hardened calcium off the teeth, will look around to see if there are any cavities and spot any potential issues that may be bad enough to affect your overall health.
A few of the other tips that you can follow to make sure that you are able to keep your mouth healthy and happy for years to come include:
- Every three months, or after you are sick, replace your toothbrush. This will keep it fresh and make sure that germs will not get stuck in the teeth.
- To help your child get excited about brushing their teeth, let them pick their own toothbrush.
- Drink water to help yourself remain hydrated and eat a healthy and balanced diet as much as possible to keep the teeth healthy.
One of the best things that you can do to help make sure your teeth are shiny and will last you your whole life is to visit your dentist every six months. Our team at Nazareth Northstar Dental Care is here to help provide you with some of the best in oral hygiene to ensure that your teeth will last you for many years to come. Whether this is your first visit in a long time or you are looking to find a new dentist in the area, we are confident that we can make your smile look amazing.