Pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that deals with children’s oral health and problems up to adolescence. According to a renowned pediatric dentist in Aubrey, TX, this field of dentistry promotes children’s dental health and provides the necessary educational resources to parents. In other words, if you consult a pediatric dentist Aubrey TX, you will find that he will help you understand preventive home care, caries risk assessment, and how to prevent mouth and teeth injuries.
Here is all you need to know about pediatric dentistry.
What can you expect from a visit to a pediatric dentist’s office?
When you consult a pediatric dentist, he will check the overall oral health of your child. Pediatric dentists are compassionate and careful because children are usually anxious when visiting the dentist. Hence, you will find them gentle when dealing with young children. When you visit a pediatric dentist in Aubrey, TX, you can expect the following services:
- He will perform a thorough examination to evaluate your child’s oral health. This helps identify if there are any problems with his teeth.
- According to a leading dentist Aubrey, TX, most children suffer from problems like caries due to inadequate oral hygiene. In such a scenario, the dentist will educate the child and his parents about the importance of maintaining good oral health.
- Another thing you can expect from a visit to a pediatric dentist’s office is habit counseling. This is essential if your child has the habit of sucking his thumb or pacifier. If he persists in sucking his thumb or pacifier even after getting all of his milk teeth, it can prove to be quite dangerous for his teeth. It can lead to misshapen teeth and even make it difficult for him to eat and sleep comfortably. You need to consult a pediatric dentist to resolve the problem in such a scenario.
Hence, a visit to a pediatric dentist’s office is a must if you want to ensure that your child maintains good oral hygiene and overall dental health.
Do pediatric dentists perform dental procedures?
Your pediatric dentist will perform a procedure only when he feels that there is a need for it. For example, if you visit a pediatric dentist in Aubrey TX, and he finds that your child suffers from problems such as a build-up of plaque and tartar, he will suggest you undertake a dental cleaning procedure. This is critical for your child’s overall dental health and for preventing premature tooth decay. Other than dental cleaning, a pediatric dentist can carry out several dental procedures, some of which are as follows:
- Fillings: Cavities are a common problem with children. Children love to eat sugar, and the inability to maintain good oral hygiene can lead to cavities. When you visit a dentist in Aubrey, TX, he will first numb the area that needs to be filled and then proceed. For filling, your dentist will remove the infected areas and use the drill machine to drill into the teeth. After that, he will seal it with silver amalgam or porcelain.
- Extractions: Children often need extractions, especially in case of teeth with an infection. He might also need an extraction if a permanent tooth begins to grow before the milk tooth has fallen off. In such a situation, you will have to extract the milk tooth to give the permanent tooth adequate space to grow and prevent overcrowding of teeth.
- Dental crowns: Pediatric dentists sometimes recommend this procedure if your child’s teeth have a full infection. The crowns will help protect the teeth and prevent further infections. The process pediatric dentists follow for dental crowns is the same as for adults.
Thus, there are several dental procedures that a pediatric dentist has to do, but it all depends on the condition of his patient’s teeth.
Is pediatric dentistry different from general dentistry?
There are differences between pediatric dentistry and general dentistry. The age of patients ranges from 2 years to adolescence. A child can get his first tooth at six months; hence, a pediatric dentist might need to help a one-year-old. Thus, he needs to be gentle and compassionate with his patients.
The second important thing is a diagnosis of oral disorders, which can ensure early identification of diseases such as diabetes, asthma, hay fever, congenital heart defect, and attention-deficit- hyperactivity- disorder (ADHD). According to a leading dentist Aubrey, TX, this is a crucial part of pediatric dentistry.
Pediatric dentistry is also different from general dentistry because pediatric dentists can give you unique guidance when it comes to managing gum disease and treating dental injuries. These are essential to ensure that your child does not have major dental problems in the future. Thus, pediatric dentistry is different from general dentistry. Contact Paloma Creek Dental & Orthodontics to know more about it or check their website.