Did you know that the Ancient Egyptians used braces? Well, Archeologists discovered some mummies that had makeshift cases. They believed that they were made from animal intestines and used to wrap around the teeth to make them straight.
If you want the Egyptian smile and your teeth, or jaws is hindering this. Then it’s time for you to get cases. It does not only fix crooked teeth and gaps but also position your teeth according to your bite.
They restore your smile and confidence to make everyone around you smile back. You won’t get the intestines as braces of course, but the modern ones. Before booking an appointment with your dentist, here are some of the things you should know.
When to get dental braces
The perfect age for having cases is 10 to 14 years. This is the ideal time since the child’s head and mouth are still growing. Therefore, making it easy for the teeth to align themselves as he or she grows.
However, this is not something you can wake up and decide for your child. He or she has to speak their mind concerning the product. Hence, we suggest that you sit down with them and explain why they need the brand and for how long.
Even though it’s usually a myth that the product is meant for kids, adults can still use them. This depends on the dental problem you want to fix. Braces can be used to fix different dental problems.
For example, if a person in his or her mid-30s has unaligned teeth and feel it’s not good on them. This is because it affects their smile or even how people relate with them. They can use cases to align the teeth and restore their smile or even smile better than before.
How they work
The orthodontic cases are designed to apply pressure at continuous intervals for some time. This, in turn, makes the teeth move in a particular direction. It’s a gradual process, as the teeth shift, so does the bone shapes up. Thereby correcting the jaw position, fix gaps and align the teeth.
Types of braces
There are various types of products that you can select from. They are custom made to fit your personal needs. We recommend that you pick out cases that are in line with your orthodontist instructions. Here are different kinds of products to choose from.
Invisalign or invisible Retainers
This is the newest brand in the market that most people are opting for. They are made from plastic and acts as a mouthguard. It is designed to fit and align your teeth perfectly.
They are removable; that means you can brush your teeth as usual and eat the same foods. We suggest that you wear them for two weeks before replacing them. Also, ensure you take care of them by cleaning regularly.
- They are invisible which is ideal for adults.
- It saves time since you spend less time at the orthodontist compared to other brands that require more time and appointments
- It is safe. Therefore you can engage in any sports without worrying about them being damaged.
- You can brush your teeth and eat whatever you want without worrying
- It won’t work for more serious dental problems; hence, we recommend you opt for other brands.
- The product is available for adults and teens but not children.
- The treatment might take longer than expected.
- It can be easily lost, and it’s expensive to replace.
They are also referred to as traditional cases and are placed in front of the teeth. The product is made from high-quality stainless steel and has an archwire attached to the brackets. It less painful and smaller compared to the metal mouth.
They have also been modified to have a heat-activated archwire. The cables use your body heat to move your teeth quickly.
- They are cheaper compared to the other brands
- They are firm because of the metal material used
- It is ideal for correcting overcrowded teeth than other brands
- They are adaptive and can be used to correct any form of dental problem
- It is not invisible. Therefore people can see it which may affect your self-esteem, especially in children.
- Eating and chewing with them is a problem as well.
- They sometimes demineralize the teeth causing allergies.
The inside cases are custom made to fit the contour of every teeth. The braces and wire are like those of the metal cases. But the fan factor about the brand is that they are placed inside the teeth. We urge you to use this brand if you feel uncomfortable being seen with cases in public.
- They are virtually invisible since they are attached at the teeth
- The brand is custom made to fit your teeth perfectly and allows you total control and movement.
- They are usually fixed and cannot move throughout the treatment. You are, therefore guaranteed straightened teeth.
- They are expensive than the traditional braces and aligners
- They are challenging to clean and not appropriate for severe cases
- The can be uncomfortable the first time; therefore, you will have to make adjustments on how you eat and drink. You are to also avoid eating hard foods or fruits.
The product is designed using tooth-colored ceramic brackets. This has replaced the metal and white wire that we see in the traditional cases. Having taken the color of your teeth, it makes the brand virtually invisible.
If you are looking for a brand you can go to events with, and take pictures without them being noticed. Then we suggest using this particular product. It will seem like you are not wearing cases.
- They are more useful when compared to the Invisalign, which take longer to move the teeth
- The brand is less noticeable unlike the metal cases
- They are highly stained resistant.
- The product can stain easily if not taken care of
- They are more expensive than metal cases
- It’s enormous, compared to the metal braces making them hard to clean.
- (i) Consultation
The first step of the process is finding if you really need a brace. We, therefore, recommend that you pay a visit to the dentist. He or she will obtain dental records from you and analyses them. From this file, they can tell if you are to use braces or not.
From the consultation, the orthodontist will request for molds impressions and x-rays. They use this to understand the dental problem you are having. Then later, a decision is made on the kind of cases to correct the problem.
Most of the professionals in this field use three-dimensional technology. This uses a laser scanning plaster model to give a dental impression of your teeth. Later a computer-automated treatment simulation is used.
It shows how your teeth will look once fitted with the cases. We suggest the use of up to date technology to help the patient know the desired outcome. This, in turn, helps them to determine the kind of braces to use.
- (ii) Fitting
If you are in a hurry or have limited time to spare and you are to undergo the procedure. You can still visit your dentist, and in 20 minutes you will be done. The process begins with the use of a cheek retractor.
The retractor ensures that your teeth are visible and remain dry. It allows them to condition the teeth before the orthodontic cases are set. Dental cement is used to hold the brackets in place. This will be according to the simulation that was done during the consultation stage.
High- intensity light is used to strengthen the bond between the teeth and braces. Once the dentist is done, they will then remove the retractor. Later a dental archwire is placed. The treatment will take six months to two years and a half, depending on the problem.
- (iii) Adjustment of dental braces
For the repositioning of teeth, the cases have to be adjusted. This is because the elastic ties that hold the wire become weaker after some time. Therefore we recommend that you see an orthodontist after every three weeks.
After the adjustment, you will feel pain and soreness in the mouth. This is because of the pressure exacted by the wire. Therefore, we suggest that you take painkillers to help since it might last for several days.
Immediately the braces have been fitted you will have to consider how you are to take care of them. This is what guarantees a unique smile and healthier teeth as well. Here are some of the following things you are to do to keep the cases in good shape.
This seems to be a complicated task to achieve, but it’s not. Yes, you will have to be careful while cleaning either with a brush or a flosser. But there is nothing different about this since it is just like having natural teeth.
We insist on brushing your teeth is to get rid of the food particles lodge on the braces and the teeth. They are stuck between the braces and your teeth and if not taken care of can cause dental cavities. Plus there is a special brush known as an interdental toothbrush.
This is ideal for cleaning around and underneath the brackets and archwires. Flossing is equally crucial since there are parts where the brush cannot reach. For this, we recommend that you use the Waterpik flosser.
It is perfect for flossing around the braces and the teeth as well. This should be done twice a day to keep your teeth and braces in check. Plus do not overdo it, since it will affect the gums making them a week. This leads to recurring of the dental condition.
What to eat and not to
Having to watch what you eat is painful to do. This means you will have to forgo some of your favorite meals or snacks to better your dental health. Well, this is for good and not punishment.
As much as the craving might be there, you have to fight it. Here is a list to guide you on what to eat and what not to eat when you have undergone the procedure.
- Candy, sugary gum, chocolate, and caramel: You should avoid consuming such products since they destroy your braces. Therefore, costing you more cash and trips to the dentist which is expensive.
- Meat: If this is your favorite dish, then you can still eat it even when having cases. But eating meat from the bone will be a big problem. Therefore, you will have to cut it into smaller pieces to avoid them being lodge in your braces. Plus select tender meat.
- Fruits: When it comes to fruits, select those which are soft. If you are to take hard fruits such as apples, then cut them into smaller pieces that you can chew comfortably.
- Nuts and Seeds: This should also be avoided at all costs since they will stick in the brackets. Hence, we recommend that you consume grounded seed and nut butter.
- Vegetables: They are vital for nourishing your body; hence taking raw ones can be a bit of trouble for you. Therefore we urge you to opt for softer fresh greens such as steamed vegetables and leafy greens. Avoid consuming hard fresh vegetables like broccoli, and raw carrots.
- Dairy: we are sure that most of the dairy products will not be a problem for you. However, when it comes to some types of cheese such as cheese sticks; it gets caught under your braces. This can cause a dental cavity which will cost you more.
- Grains: they can be cooked and end up lodged in your cases. Hence if you are to consume hard roll of the grains, we suggest that cut them into smaller pieces for more natural chewing.
After the product has served its purpose, the practitioner should remove it. The process is painless and straightforward. The tie and the wire are to be removed first then followed by the dental cement. This is to separate the teeth from the cases.
The cement should be gently removed to avoid damaging the enamel. You will experience a bit of swelling in the gums. But not to worry this is normal after the procedure and it will go away after some time. We recommend that the dentist constructs for you a retainer to hold the teeth in the new position.
Cost of Dental Braces
The cost of braces varies from one practitioner to the other. It will all depend on the agreement between you and the orthodontist. What you should have in mind is that the amount you pay will be affected by your age and the length of treatment.
The average price of getting brackets is $ 5,000 to 6,000. This is a price that will fluctuate over time. Plus the type of braces you choose and the location of the orthodontist also influence the cost.
Those who are located in urban areas are more expensive compared to those in rural areas. Here is an estimated value of the different brands in the market. Have in mind that these are not fixed prices, and they can change depending on different factors
Types Estimated cost
Invisalign $3,000- $8,000
We urge you to negotiate with the dentist on the mode of payment. If you have an insurance cover, go through their policies. Find out if they cover dental treatment and if they do at what amounts? This helps in determining the type of brand to choose in line with the insurance cover.
If you find out that the insurance company does not offer these services, let the dentist’s staff negotiate with the company. This provides a perfect ground for a payment plan to be drafted between the insurance company and them.
We urge you to be on the know, about such agreements and have the receipts printed for you. Also, ensure that you don’t prolong the treatment as this will be reflected on the insurance cover. Therefore seeking quality services helps to avoid accumulating more dental bills.
In the past, when one thought of having braces they shiver. This is because what they picture in their minds is the sight of metals on teeth. This was known referred to as metal mouth in the past. It made people fight the idea of having such structures in the mouth. Hence, they opted to ignore their dental hygiene which made it even worse.
Well, that has now changed and having cases is not something you have to worry about. They have been modified using the latest technology to give you comfort and restore your smile. Do remember that 90% of people you meet always look at your teeth. Therefore, regardless of your age, you can still have the braces and attend functions without any worries.
How do Braces work?
Braces Before And After