There are many dental issues, that arise due to smoking. These include, but are not limited to:
- Discoloration of teeth
- Inflammation on the roof of the mouth
- Higher buildups of plaque
- Higher loss of bone in the jaw
- Higher chance of leukoplakia
- Higher chance of periodontitis
- Slower healing after dental procedures
- Decreased success rates of implants procedure
- Higher chance of Carcinoma
Smokeless Tobacco Products
These products can aggravate gums, causing it to recede. This leads to more tooth exposure, giving it a higher chance to get a cavity. This part of the tooth is also more sensitive to the temperature of various beverages, and sugar intakes.
Your dentist will provide you with many medications and alternatives to wean off smoking, such as nicotine patches, nicotine gum, Zyban, etc.. There are also classes and support groups that you can join to get the support you need while quitting. Many people also get alternative procedures (like acupuncture and hypnosis) done to quit.