Dental health has a huge impact on our daily lives. Without it, we cannot enjoy any luxury of life. Therefore, almost every doctor and dentist prescribe us to take care of teeth. For your convenience, I jotted down a few points regarding oral and dental health.
Oral and dental health:
Oral health is related to being secure against any kind of periodontal disease, decay, and loss of any teeth, facial and oral pain, or any disease that affects our oral cavity and mouth.
There are a few key points related to dental health that need to be considered.
- One of the most common oral ailments is tooth decay and in this disease, gums are directly affected.
- And approximately 60-90% of schoolchildren suffer from the dental cavity.
- Periodontal disease ratio is 5-20% among middle-aged people which ultimately leads to loss or decay of the tooth. And variation among this ratio is possible from one region to another.
- Furthermore, oral and periodontal diseases cause a huge impact on the economy and pose serious problems related to it.
People prone to oral and dental health:
Patients with cardiac valves problem
Periodontal inflammation occurs when bacteria involuntarily enter the blood-stream. And this entrance will lead to severe problems.
Patients with problems related to heart and blood vessels
Various recent researches proved that, to some extent, clogged arteries and cardiac disease lead to periodontal disease.
Diabetes directly or indirectly makes the body more prone to infections. And this ultimately makes the periodontium more susceptible to infections.
Various immune diseases and HIV leads to a diverse number of oral infections i.e. mucous lesions.
Common dental problems:
Most of the time, gum, teeth, and mouth conditions sometimes lead to severe issues. In case, if any of the prior conditions is developed no need to worry because they can be prevented. But for that, first of all, you need to know about the most common dental problems. After getting to know this, you are pretty much close to taking your initial step. Let’s discuss them.
Tooth decay and its treatment:
First of all, the most important thing to know is what is tooth decay? It is a process in which teeth get decayed due to the decomposition of food sugar. And when the sugar in food is decomposed, it produces acid. This acid is involved in the erosion of the enamel. And that’s how tooth decay.
For your ease, I jotted down a few points that will help you in treating tooth decay.
- First of all, try to avoid eating in intervals especially between main meals. Because this habit has become the root cause of calculus formation. And with the formation of dental plaque, the risk of tooth decay also increased.
- Try to avoid coffee, tea, and sugary soft drinks
- Try to follow brushing after having a meal. This will also help in reducing tooth decay
- Last but not least, make sure to use dental floss religiously to remove the food stuffed between the teeth
Are you the one who is experiencing bad breath? Then, no need to worry because you are not alone. And this thing is proved by various researches. According to recent studies, almost 45% of people are globally suffering from some level of chronic halitosis. And it develops from poor oral care, gum disease, or dry mouth. Although you can use the mouthwash it will only mask the foul smell. For proper treatment, you need to visit your nearby dentist i.e. Northstar Dental Care.
It falls into the category of common dental cosmetic problems. There are diverse factors behind this phenomenon. These factors include drinking of dark color beverages and smoking which ultimately leads to certain diseases. And also directly affect the one teeth r multiple leaving a yellow/grey stain on it. Therefore, it is recommended to take care of oral health as a few changes in lifestyle lead to long-term positive outcomes.
In gum disease, the surrounding tissues of our teeth that are involved in support of teeth, get affected and lead to infection. And the problem initiates when you ignore a minor infection of the gums. That minor infection leads to severe infection of gums that ultimately leads to tooth decay. To prevent this, you need to religiously remove the plaque from your teeth.
Basic dental care:
By practicing basic dental care you indirectly save yourself from various infections in one way or another. First of all, it prevents you from harmful oral diseases and secondly those few basics helps in maintaining the lifespan of teeth longer. I penned down a few easy to do basic dental cares.
- Make sure that you brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day for a minimum of 2 minutes. And for better removal of plaque from teeth try to use soft bristles tooth-brush.
- Try to make flossing your daily ritual. And floss your teeth after a meal to remove the bacteria, germs of teeth parts where the brush can’t be reached.
- A healthy diet is the key to a healthy life. So, make sure that you, consume a healthy diet and also try to limit your in-between meals. And don’t forget to reduce sugar intake as it is the most favorite food of germs and bacteria.
- Not only this but be conscious about your consumption of acidic beverages as they will directly affect your teeth enamel and make it more susceptible to bacteria
- To maintain the health of your teeth you need to set the visit schedule to the dentist. Whenever you visit your dentist ask him about your overall oral health and also about the problems related to the mouth.
- Not only this but after asking prior points get some diet recommendations from your dentist. And the most important point, never forget to discuss the next visit date.
- To strengthen your teeth make sure you drink plenty of water. It will not only strengthen your teeth but also make your mouth clean and lessen the risk of dry mouth.
Why does an individual need a regular dental check-up?
Regular dental check-ups are very important as by them an individual gets to know about his current oral situation. A dentist points out various minor oral infections that will become fatal sooner. And he also prevents an individual from dental issues. No matter, whether or not you are experiencing dental issues, you must visit him. Because some dental issues can only be diagnosed by dentists.
In a nutshell, for proper dental care find out the best dentist in your locality to avoid any trouble.
AUTHOR : Dr. Marwan Bassil:
Dr. Marwan Bassil, DMD, has been practicing dentistry in New Jersey since 1998. He received his dental degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ in Newark, New Jersey. He completed his Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in southern New Jersey. Dr. Bassil is a member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM), American Dental Association (ADA), Pennsylvania Dental Association (PDA), New Jersey Dental Association (NJDA), and The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). He is a founding dentist at both Bridgewater Family Dental and Northstar Dental Care and is certified in implantology, full-mouth reconstruction, and INVISALIGN (Clear braces).