Whenever we wake up, our first move is towards the kitchen. When we move there, we open the fridge and drink water. Why? The reason is dry mouth. This is very uncomfortable feelings, and it has serious health implications. This is very common above the age of 65 when saliva starts decreasing near to 40%.
In medical it is termed as xerostomia. It occurs when glands don’t produce enough saliva and lead to hyposalivation.
Causes of Dry Mouth
Following are some of the causes that lead to dry mouth:
- Breathing with an open mouth
- Alzheimer disease
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- Cancer treatment
- Use of tobacco and alcohol
- Use of different drugs like hormones.
- Mild Sore throat
- Burning of the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Dry nose and nasal passage
Dry Mouth Results In
- Your sense of taste becomes less – Taste Disorders Causes And Treatment | Cards Dental
- It causes anxiety, stress, and depression
- Gums diseases, plaque deposition, cavities, thrush, mouth sores, and tooth loss
Treatments For Dry Mouth
There are some home treatments that can cure your dry mouth:
- You can use sugar-free gum and sucking sugar-free candies on and off for preventing dryness.
- Try to make yourself fully hydrated by drinking a specified glass of water.
- The use of ice chips can also prevent dryness.
- Drink water before and with the meal.
- Try to stop eating dry, salty, and spicy food.
- Chew thoroughly while eating for better swallowing and digestion.
- Use of alcohol and caffeine should be strongly prohibited.
- Place a cold air humidifier in your bedroom.
- Minimize or avoid the use of antihistamines and decongestants because they can dry your mouth.
Use of Different Products
There are certain products that sometimes doctors also recommend for dry mouth treatment. These products are
- Use of fluorides such as some toothpaste has fluorides in them. How Does Fluoride Help Teeth?
- Gels and topical treatments such as the use of alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Use of different types of nasal sprays, which are available on the market.
- Try oral medications.
Some Helpful Tips
There are some other ways as well that keep your mouth healthy and free from dryness. These ways are given below:
- Use gentle toothpaste and a soft-bristled brush.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. How to Brush your Teeth Properly?
- Use of flossing and fluorides. Why flossing is important? and How to floss correctly?
- Go to the doctor for regular cleaning.
- Eat yogurt regularly so that you can prevent yeast growth..
- Place a glass of water near your bedside for sipping water during the night.
- Try to breathe consciously from the nose, not from the mouth. Breathing from the mouth can also lead to dryness.
The Role of Herbs in Dry Mouth Treatment
There are different herbs that help in the removal of dryness from the mouth.
Ginger: It stimulates saliva production and treats the dry mouth.
Aloe Vera: Gel and juice in the aloe vera treat mouth dryness.
Marshmallow Root: It is a moisturizing plant like aloe vera. It is also used for the treatment of dryness.
Nopal Cactus: It is a popular food and medicine in Mexico. It treats hypo-salivation.
Sweet Pepper: The sweet pepper promotes salivation in your mouth, which prevents dryness.
Spilanthes: It improves dental health and promotes salivation.