Crown and veneers both are effective ways to take care of bad teeth. Both of these methods make sure that your teeth remain healthy and good but the implementation of both the methods is quite different. In this blog, we will learn about the difference between crowns and veneers. And also, the pros and cons of them.
A crown is a dental cap which is placed at the top of the teeth to make sure that the teeth regain its shape size and strength. A dental crown can be needed in the following cases
- to protect a decayed tooth from more damage.
- to restore an already broken tooth.
- to hold a dental bridge in place.
- to cover a severely discolored tooth
A crown is specially used in cases where the shape of the tooth is not perfect. A crown applies pressure on the top of the teeth so that it can regain its original form and shape. There are many types of crowns some of them only take one sitting to be fit. Whereas the other one takes more than one day or one appointment.
Veneers are used to correct your smile it is mostly used to create “Hollywood Smile”. Veneers are made up of porcelain and are usually placed on the top of the teeth to give them a new look. Veneers mostly dissolve various issues like spacing, crowding, and discoloration/staining. Veneers are also a quick treatment and you don’t have to wait for the results.
When you are going for treatment you must be sure about that because during the treatment dentist will remove a small layer of enamel from your teeth, this is irreversible. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of veneers.
Difference Between Veneers and Crowns
As I have said earlier that both of these serve the same purpose to make sure that our teeth are in good shape. In crown, a small shaped crown is placed at the top of our teeth to make sure that it regains its shape. Whereas in veneers the same color material as of your teeth is used to cover any gaps or chipping inside your teeth.
In veneers, a small layer of enamel is also shaved down before starting the treatment but in crowns, enamel prepares more. Veneers are a long-lasting treatment like for 13-15 years and then you again need to see a dentist. And also, a veneer is done only in one sitting. But when it comes to crowns, they are not that durable, the material form which crowns are made up of are strong but they will eventually crack.
There is no race between veneers and crowns this is because both are great in their respective field, once take care of gaps and the other will take care of the shape of teeth. So, it depends on what kind of problem you have with your teeth, and then the dentist will pick the treatment for you.
Pro and Cons of Crowns
As there is no creation made by humans which does not have cons. So, here are some pros and cons of crows
- Replace large or worn out fillings
- If you have any kind of crack or damaged teeth then crowns will take care of it.
- Restore fractured or cracked teeth
- Restore dental implants
- Improve the appearance of your teeth (discoloration and mild alignment issues)
- Reshape your teeth
- Protect teeth after a root canal
- One of the most common cons of crowns is that they are not long-lasting. As crowns are made up of strong material but they are not strong enough and they will eventually crack.
- If there are small cracks in your crows, they can be fixed but if the cracks are too much and deep then your crown will need to be replaced costing you more money.
- If your crown is poorly fitted then they will come out.
- There are also report that some patient becomes more sensitive to hot and cold after implementing a crown.
Pros and Cons of Veneers
Here are some of the pros and cons of veneers
- Veneers are best when it comes to small repairs like the chipping of teeth.
- If you have any gaps then veneers will take care of that too.
- Whiten your Smile.
- The treatment is quicker and you don’t have to wait for a month for the result.
- Veneers are stain-resistant. So, you do have to worry about the stains.
- There are completely customizable. They are specially made to fit in your mouth.
- This treatment is long-lasting. Typically, it lasts about 10-15 years.
- Veneers are far more expensive as compared to another treatment
- Preparation is required to start the treatment, in which a layer of enamel is shaved down from your teeth. So, be sure when going for treatment.
- The result in veneers is not permanent as in braces. They only last for years.
There is a lot of dental problems that a person faces throughout his/her life. And there is a various method to take care of these problems too. Veneers are used to repair chips in your teeth whereas crowns are used when your teeth become crack or week. All of the methods have their benefit so it is really hard to suggest one over another. It mainly depends on the condition of your teeth.
Also Read :