Receding gums Or Gingival Recession
Do you have dental sensitivity? Taking cold and hot foods or beverages may seem to be a nightmare. Well, if you are having this symptom, you might be suffering from receding gums. Also known as Gingival Recession. 50% of people between the ages of 18 and 64 are having this problem without knowing.
Though it is most common among people over the age of 40, it can also start at the age of 10 with the kind of lifestyle we are living today. It can be hard to tell if you have this dental disorder. Therefore, we recommend that you visit the dentist as often as you can.
As much as the teeth are essential, so are the gums. Therefore you need to take care of the gums. If you do not do this, there is a chance you will develop the periodontal disease. It is a bacteria that affects the gums. It shrinks them and exposes the root or even the lower part of the teeth.
What it does is, it forms a gap between the teeth and the gums. That gap forms a pocket where the bacteria breed. If it is not treated on time, it can lead to teeth loss. Therefore if you are having dental sensitivity or swollen gums, we recommend that you see the dentist immediately.
According to the California Dental Association (CDA), three out of four adults you interact with are suffering from this particular disease. Some people think that oral hygiene could be the cause of it. Which is true, but even you, who has excellent oral hygiene can still be affected. Here are factors that can lead to it
- Aggressive brushing
- Grinding and clenching our teeth causes too much force on the teeth.
- Improper flossing which may cut into the gums
- Piercings of the lip and tongue which wears away the gum.
- Digging of the fingernail into the gums which are associated with kids
- Hormonal changes in a woman make the gums more sensitive, leading to it.
- Genetics in which some people inherit genes that leads to receding gums is also a factor to consider.
Signs and symptom of receding gums
The changes to the gums are minimal but increase daily. It is one of the reasons why you find it hard to notice the disease. This allows it to develop to a more complex stage and before you realize it, it will be too late. Therefore to avoid this, we urge to be on the lookout for these signs and symptoms.
- Bad breath also is known as halitosis
- Loose teeth
- Cavities below the gum line
- Gums bleeding when flossing or brushing
- Exposed teeth roots
- Red swollen gums
- The appearance of the teeth to be longer than usual
- Dentine hypersensitivity in which you cannot take hot or cold foods and beverages due to a short sharp pain.
- The changing of the teeth color
- Visible shrinking gums
- Pain felt at the gum line
- The presence of spaces between the teeth because the gums are not filling them.
This is a simple procedure that the dentist has to follow to know if you have periodontitis. To begin the process, we suggest that the dentist goes through your medical records. The records will help in identifying the factors that contribute to your condition. The disease could be a reaction to certain medications being taken. If so, he or she will advise you accordingly.
The second step will be examining your mouth checking for tartar buildup and plaque. The dentist will also be looking for easy bleeding. Afterward, a probe is used to measure the gum pockets. The measurements should range from 1 to 3 millimeters.
If the results got are higher than the 3 millimeters then we considered this a sign of gum disease. An x-ray should be done to show if there is any bone loss where the swelling has occurred. This helps the practitioner to make an informed decision on the kind of treatment to be given.
Treatment of Gums Recession
There are different treatment methods that the periodontist can use to correct this condition. The forms of treatments available are categorized into two.
Most of the dentist would use topical antibiotics to get rid of the infection. Therefore you will be given a prescription of oral antibiotics to control the bacterial infection. The medicine includes gels containing antibiotics inserted between the teeth and the gums. The other one is the antibiotic mouth rinses. We suggest that you be given the medication after the deep cleaning of the gums.
This is the removal of tartar and bacteria underneath the gums and teeth surfaces using an ultrasonic device. This is also referred to as deep cleaning.
- Root planning
Refers to smoothening of the roof surfaces, thereby discouraging the further buildup of bacteria and tartar. This enables the gums to reattach themselves to the teeth. The process also removes bacterial byproducts that lead to inflammation.
- Bone grafting
It is a simple procedure which involves replacing the bone surrounding the tooth root. This happens is the disease was intense than expected. Therefore grafting shall be done to restore the bone. The bone graft can be from donated bone, synthetic bone, or our bones. The procedure helps prevent tooth loss.
- Soft tissue grafting
This surgical process involves the removal of a small tissue from the roof of your mouth. The tissue is then used to attach to areas where the recession has affected. Donor tissue can also be used in this procedure.
- Tissue-stimulating proteins
This refers to a special gel that is applied on the affected teeth root. It contains the same kind of proteins found in enamel. This, in turn, stimulates the growth of healthy bone and tissue.
- Guided tissue regeneration
The technique involves the insertion of material between the bone and gum tissue. It prevents the entry of unwanted tissue entering the healing area. Hence, allowing the bone to grow back.
- Flap surgery
The procedure involves the making of small cuts on the gum. Lifting it and allowing the dentist to remove bacteria and tartar. After this, the gum is sutured back and fits perfectly around the tooth.
Recovery of Receding Gums
The duration you take to recover fully depends on the kind of procedure you underwent. Though, in an ordinary situation, you take a day to get back on your feet. Experiencing a bit of discomfort or bleeding is reasonable at this point. We recommend you do not smoke at all after undergoing this procedure.
The practitioner might as well prescribe to you antibiotics and a special kind of mouth wash. This helps you in cleaning your teeth since you won’t be in a position to floss or brush. Also, we urge you to stick to soft foods such as pasta, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and scrambled eggs, among others.
Preventions of Gingival Recession
Prevention is better than cure, so to be on the safe side, you must change your lifestyle. Well, genetics can sometimes cause this condition, which you cannot be able to control. But there are other factors that you can control to escape getting recession gums.
You should be aware of the following
- A misaligned bite or crooked teeth can also be a root cause of the recession. These dental problems exact too much force on teeth and gums. To correct this, we recommend using Invisalign or braces.
- Smoking leads to a plaque on the teeth, which makes it easier for bacteria to develop on your gums. Therefore, avoid smoking at all costs.
- Body piercing is a good thing to do, but when it comes to lip or tongue piercing, we do not advise. This is because the jewelry can rub against the gums leading to the dental problem.
- Grinding or clenching your teeth, causes the gums to recede. The force exacted on the teeth during this process causes this. Therefore, you should get a mouth guard to avoid grinding or clenching the teeth
- Brushing and flossing teeth every day is the best way to prevent getting gum disease. Overdoing it will damage the gums and cause a recession…
Treatment Cost of Receding Gums
The price for gum treatments ranges from $500 to $10,000. Though, the prices for periodontal surgery vary depending on the kind of procedure. Also, the severity of the disease dictates the price to pay.
We suggest that you have an insurance cover. It helps to remove the financial burden since it will cover the entire cost of even part of it. If your insurance company does not offer such benefits, talk to your dentist or the staff and let them negotiate a better payment plan with the company.
Gum recession is a dental disorder that a person finds it hard to notice. Therefore, people end up having this problem for a long time without knowing. To be on the safe side, it is essential you take your dental health with the seriousness it deserves. Book an appointment with your dentist every six months. Also, ensure you take food rich in vitamins and avoid smoking. Remember to brush your teeth and floss twice a day.