What is Root Canal? the procedure, guidelines, side effects, treatment, cost
Root canal treatment (RCT) or endodontic (en-do-don-tics) is the branch of dentistry, deals with the repair damaged and infected tooth. The therapy takes place when the pulp getting damage. During, the therapy dentist remove the pulp, clean, and seal the tooth.
Image source: Dentist Matt Madd
• What do you mean by” PULP”?
The word PULP is the soft part of mass situated in the centre part of teeth. It is made up of blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue.
∙Why PULP became infected?
As the pulp contains unique tissue and resized in a fixed chamber, which provides strong support and well protected. If the chamber losses its structural framework, the pulp became fractured, cracked which influences the pathway for microorganism and their toxic materials to enter into the pulp.
The x-ray should be done to determine the shape of the root canal and if there is an infection surrounding the bone.
After that, your dentist will give you a local anaesthetic to numb your tooth and as well as the surrounding.
Then, a thin sheet of latex rubber should put over the tooth to keep it dry and clean.
The doctor will make an opening or hole by a driller inside the tooth.
The pulp is to be removed from the fixed pulp chamber. Then the doctor will clean the root canal and will sculpt it into shape.
Your dentist will seal the tooth with the help of a rubber-like material.
The material keeps the cap in the right position. It holds the cap tightly. The cap will look like a normal tooth.
The physician might give you some medicine. If you have any problem regarding this, feel free to tell your dentist about the problem.
• Side effects of Root canal treatment (RCT)?
- A common side effect is pain in the tooth. However, it is a common issue. It will disappear within a week after treatment.
- Sometime’s there could be a crack on the roof of the tooth, which does not notice by your dentist.
• Who is eligible for Root canal treatment (RCT)?
You may not be eligible for root canal treatment if you have the following health issues, such as-
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Diabetes (In the case of diabetes mellitus)
- Osteoporosis (when bones became fragile, decrease its density)
- Any blood immune disease
• Is it a painful treatment?
The answer is a big “No”. It is not a painful treatment, but Small pain may feel later, as a side effect, but you should not feel worried about it. It vanishes easily by painkillers.
• How many appointments are necessary for root canal treatment?
The root canal treatment usually takes one to three appointments. It totally depends on the difficulty of the canal system. If more canal exists, you may have to go to the hospital or clinic several times.
• How long will it take to recover?
It may take one or two weeks to recover completely. It considered being permanent recovery.
• What is the success rate of the root canal?
Root canal treatment should have a success rate of 85% and 95%, depending on the circumstances of surgery.
•Should I avoid a root canal?
It totally depends on the condition of your infection. But it will be better to consult with your dentist if you see any swelling, soreness or pain in your gum or teeth. Then, you shouldn’t avoid this.
• How long a root canal treatment last?
It can be last lifetime if you take proper care of your health. However, regular checkups are mandatory.
• Post-treatment guidelines
There are some post-treatment guidelines after root canal treatment. That is-
- Take medicine properly as advised by your dentist.
- Most importantly, your oral hygiene must be well maintained as much as possible.
- Do brushing regularly.
- Use proper herbal toothpaste.
- Avoid hard, crunchy and oily foods stuff.
- Drinks a lot of water.
• What is the cost of root canal treatment (RCT)?
The cost of this treatment varies in different situation and prospects. In Asian countries, the price is around $150-250 but in European and American countries, the price of root canal treatment is higher than in Asian countries. The price is around $350-450.
- Teeth Grinding, Bruxism|Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment
- The Importance Of Dental Care For Seniors
- 7 Most Common Ways People stain Their Teeth | Dental Care
- Restorative Dentistry|Types Of Restorative Dental Treatments And Costs
- Ceramic Braces|Cost, Comparison, Questions, And Answers